No is a Complete Sentence!
So often we find ourselves feeling the need to explain ourselves. We say no or we say stop and almost immediately we're asked "why?". So many words, especially question words are received as one word sentences why then do people not understand that "No" and "Stop" are also single word sentences.
When you start setting boundaries you do so by saying no and limiting your available to continue as you've done in the past. This can be met with confrontation and sometimes people making you feel guilty for not doing what you've always done in the past. The truth is you are creating a newer, better, even more productive version of yourself and that's not a bad thing, nor does it require an explanation.
I personally have experienced situations where the word no or stop is received as a challenge. It's viewed as "she didn't really mean that, I just need to work harder to persuade her". That is the farthest thing from the truth. When we say "No" or "Stop" we mean exactly what we say, we aren't playing or teasing we are very serious. A few years ago I was attending a formal event and a young man was putting ice down his dates dress, multiple times she asked him to stop and he just continued and laughing at her squirms and pleas to stop. Wasn't very long after witnessing this incident before I stepped in, and his response was "I'm just playing and she doesn't mean it." Well not only did I mean it but I didn't view the situation as playing, and I let him know. "She said stop, so you stop, and if you continue to do what you're doing I will call the police and I will file charges." Sad that it had to take a threat of charges to make him stop.
It is so important to first understand that "No" and "Stop" are truly complete sentences. When anyone says them they mean exactly what they are saying, they are not words of play or challenge. Second, comes the retraining of our minds to an understanding that we do NOT need to give a reason or an explanation. Third, is so important, because with it comes the realization that if we are forced to give explanations for saying no then the person we are speaking with does NOT actually respect us.
Comments
Post a Comment