Flag Day
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
June 14th is Flag Day here in the USA! Our beautiful American flag, respectfully named "Old Glory" with her stars and stripes, represents so much and should hold a place a reverence and respect in the hearts of all Americans.
When I see her waving in the breeze I smile, because she means so much. My parents taught me from a very young age what she means and the price so many have paid to insure she still stands and waves today. There are rules that must be followed when handling Old Glory, such as you never let her touch the ground and you do NOT burn her. If you are interested in learning proper flag etiquette I recommend you visit your local VFW or their website at: Flag Etiquette - VFW
I'm thankful that I grew up in a time when we started every school morning by standing up, placing our right hand over our heart and reciting the pledge of allegiance. I was also taught that when I hear the National Anthem sung or played I stop what I'm doing, I stand up, facing the flag with my hand over my heart and I pay respect to our flag and our country by doing this.
In case you can't tell, Flag Day is one of my favorite holidays, because I get to celebrate Old Glory and all she stands proudly for. I will be wearing my red, white, and blue on June 14th and I will proudly display the flag throughout the day. I love this country and I'm thankful that there are so many Americans who still love, pray, and will fight for her and her freedoms.
God Bless America!
Comments
Post a Comment