Appearance

 


When you think about appearance what comes to mind?  Is it clothing and clothing style, is it hair and makeup, is it height and weight?  What do you you consider when you think about appearance?  Truth is so many factors go in to considering personal appearance.

Years ago you would know someone's profession simply by what they were wearing, in some professions you still can, but in many others that level of personal appearance has taken a drastic change, so often business clothes are now much more casual.  Or consider what you might now see if you were to go shopping at your local Wal-Mart, absolutely anything goes.  

When you have a business meeting what's your appearance?  For me appearance is the whole package and is so important because it often sets the tone for how a meeting might go.  I'm clean, I dress professionally, I fix my hair, I wear makeup, etc, and I walk in with a smile and friendly greeting.  In all these ways I am presenting myself in a professional manner.

At times I have encountered people who in some way disapprove of my appearance.  Yet, I present myself professionally and with grace and dignity.  Last fall I allowed someone to undermine my professionalism and my appearance.  It started with her negative reaction to the pictures on my website.  Immediately she started in with the fact I had a small amount of cleavage showing.  Well I must say, it's not easy to hide when you are my size unless I'm wearing sweatshirts and turtlenecks.  She went on to offer to do a photoshoot with me, but I would need to wear scarves and large necklaces and turtlenecks.  As well as have my hair and makeup done professionally.  Needless to say none of those things happened except that I did have a photoshoot and my amazing friend April Nichols was my photographer.  I chose a friend who's known me my entire life (and would take natural photos) and I did my own hair and makeup as well as chose the clothes I wanted.  I then took those photos and have redone my website completely.  Will you see cleavage probably but more importantly you will see ME!  I can honestly say the person you see and read about on my website is the same person you will encounter face to face or over the phone should you choose to work with me.   

As I said appearance encompasses so many aspects.  I used to say, "dress for the job you want not the job you have", but now I dress for the job I have because it's my dream job and I choose to present my job and my personality to the world on a daily basis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years

Sticks and Stones

Storms