Perception

Perception is the way we regard or understand something.  What one person sees and understands is often different than what the other sees, such as in the picture above, to one the joy comes from finally seeing a boat and the other is overjoyed at seeing land.  It also explains why when 9 people witness an accident there will be 9 different stories of what exactly happened.  Our angle, our vision, even where we are within our lives at a given moment can have an effect on our perception of a situation.  

Recently this came to a very clear understanding for me, and it wasn't different peoples perception it was simply my own and how I choose to view things.  First, let me clarify a bit about me, I am a very animated person, I talk to the trees and flowers, I talk to myself, I will even start singing and dancing if I feel compelled to do so.  I simply see this as embracing life and taking it all in on my own terms.

Not long ago I was visiting my parents and there was a large tree limb down in the yard.  I decided I'd haul it off to where it belonged to help my dad.  Just as I get to the limb another small limb fell from the tree right at my feet.  My initial response, and what I did, was to look up at the tree and ask it why it felt the need to drop that limb in front of me.  Almost immediately I stopped and my perception changed to, because that limb just fell I can carry it away as well and save my dad a bit more work.  I went from "oh you've got to be kidding me that almost hit me" to "one more opportunity to help my dad who does so very much for his family".  

So often, like I did, we jump to that perception of being inconvenienced or bothered.  How often do we see it at a blessing or gift we are given to help another?  A simply reality check of myself to consider my own perceptions and my reactions to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years

Sticks and Stones

Storms