Touch


One of the greatest gifts in the world is the ability to touch and be touched.  These last 2 years people have denied and shied away from touch, out of fear and pressure.  It is one of the things I have struggled the most with during this time, because I know the benefits of a gentle touch.  The right kind of touch says so much, it can say you're not alone, it can be an offer of kindness, sympathy, empathy, joy, peace, comfort, etc.

Have you ever had a baby grab her finger and wrap their little hand around it?  Have you ever reached out a hand to help someone who has fallen or had someone offer you a hand up?  Have you been in mourning and had someone wrap an arm around you to simply offer a silent bit of comfort?  Has your heart ever suffered such a pain that the only comfort was a hug from a friend?  Have you been separated from someone who was sick or hurt and when you were together again you simply needed to hold that friends hand to remind you they are safe and well?  Has someone needed silent strength that you could give them with just a touch on the arm? Have you held the hand of a loved one as they were dying?


I had a client who struggled greatly with an overbearing family member.  This family member never considered her thoughts even though our sessions were about her.  This family member would talk over my client and belittle her.  We worked a great deal on the best way for her to approach this obstacle.  One particular session her family member was with her, while my client was speaking the family member started speaking over her demanding answers.  Very quickly I could see my clients demeanor change.  I simply reached out my hand and lightly laid on my client's arm.  She calmed, she knew she wasn't alone, someone would support her and give her a voice.  She felt my strength and peace and she used it to build herself.

 

Years ago my father was very sick, part of his illness resulted in the inability to use his muscles.  He knew how but he had no strength at all.  I remember how frustrated he would get, but he had sheer determination of will, and a family who were determined to help him regain as much as possible. He's doing great now!  I remember he couldn't even open a small milk carton.  There are many moments that none of our family will ever forget about that period in our lives, one in particular for me was the first time my daddy was able to lift his arms and put them around my neck and give me a hug, it had been months that I hadn't had a hug from him..  


These are small examples, of moments in time, when the right kind of touch is the greatest gift imaginable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years

Sticks and Stones

Storms